Friday, April 16, 2010

Rubik's Cube Cake


Here is a picture of the Rubik's cube cake I made for my oldest DS.  We had all of the ingredients necessary for the cake in the pantry.  But I don't usually keep black licorace in my pantry, so that was an item I had to purchase and could only find it at Walmart.  I also found that I needed eggs, since all I had was hard-boiled.

I know that the cake is not quite square or even, but it is 4 layers as it is and to keep from having to make another 1 or 2 layers, I tried to 'prop up' the corners with extra icing, but didn't quite get it.  I know how and what I am supposed to do to make it even, I just didn't want to make more cake!  Even for a family of 8, that is a lot of cake!

Plus, I took the picture before I cleaned up the tray.  I was planning on using a cardboard cake tray 'thingy', but I had to store it temporarily overnight on this while I was making it and it stuck quite nicely on this, so I just left it on the round cake keeper thingy.

It is alternating 2 layers of chocolate and 2 layers of yellow cake with chocolate icing.  The licorace and colored buttercream are on top of the chocolate.  I knew we would throw away the licorace - no one here likes it.

Here is the cake in the process of being made.



 

No comments: